Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Mohegan Sun Casino, Uncasville, Ct.
Founded in 1950 as CPA, the Connecticut Petroleum Association, CEMA and the industry, finds itself today in the most unusual and challenging year of our 70 years of existence.
Through creativity, hard work, courage and sometimes plain stubbornness, we've weathered everything Mother Nature or the government has thrown at us. And we will this time too. What does not destroy us, makes us stronger.
That's what makes this, our 70th celebration, more important than ever.
As the only live, in-person conference in the northeast in 2020 for heating fuel and motor fuel marketers, we demonstrate to the world and to ourselves, our resilience and our will to continue keeping our customers fueled for another 70 years.
Though we're not a tradeshow, we will have onsite over two dozen exhibitors displaying their latest products and services. Pictured here is our exhibit area from a previous year.
The hallmark of CEMA's conferences has always been our educational offerings. And this year is no different. As mentioned, to maximize social distancing, we'll just have one general session for all attendees, without concurrent breakout sessions as we've previously done. We plan to have sessions on:
1. The petroleum industry over the past 70 years in CT
2. The future of our industry for the next 70 years
3. Family businesses: Involving the next generation
4. State and federal elections analysis
5. COVID - what we know and impact on 2021
Pictured above is the ballroom that can hold up to 540 attendees, but which we will set for less than a third of that.
Whereas other conferences have gone virtual, or postponed or canceled their events, our members have told us they have great interest in attending a live industry event.
But we are very mindful of the health and safety of attendees, even as COVID has almost wound down in Connecticut as of this writing (only 20 new cases on July 14).
As a result, we plan on taking these precautions:
1. The conference area at Mohegan Sun we're using is new construction, and has an air handling system with UV HEPA filters isolated from the rest the casino.
2. Every entering attendee will get a temperature check, and will not be admitted if they have a fever.
3. Every entering attendee will sign an affidavit acknowledging that they have no COVID-like symptoms, been exposed to persons with COVID, or recently traveled to states or countries being interdicted by Connecticut.
4. Every attendee will be required to wear a mask except when eating.
5. All education will be held in a single general session ballroom with social distancing between seats (the ballroom can seat 540 people but it will be set for 175).
6. Likewise seating at the luncheon will involve social distancing where tables that can be set for 8-10 guests will only seat 4 (but related parties can sit together).
7. You can go from the hotel where we have a room block, the Earth Tower, to the Earth Convention Center, where our meeting will be, without ever entering the casino.
Dr. Fauci, Aug. 3: "Connecticut is in a good place."
Mohegan Sun Video
When Mohegan Sun reopened, they gave a great deal of thought to safety for their guests, especially convention attendees. This informative video above explains their policies.
Travel Restrictions from High-COVID States into CT
Connecticut requires a 14-day self-quarantine if you enter Connecticut from states with high levels of COVID. At the present (Aug. 40 this includes most states in the country. However, restrictions are not imposed on states in the northeast, with the exception of Rhode Island which was just added to the list this week.
NOTE: the self-quarantine does NOT apply to visitors who stay in Connecticut for less than 24-hours.
If you plan on coming to our conference, please monitor this website HERE regularly to see if your state is on the list. We expect the list to become smaller as COVID declines over the next couple of months. But if you register, and are unable to attend because of travel restrictions, you will receive a full refund.
Tuesday, October 13, 2020
9 am - 10 am
Arrival and Continental Breakfast
10 am - 11 am
11:20 am - 12:20 pm
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
Annual Meeting Lunch: Keynote, Elections and Awards
2:15 pm - 3:15 pm
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Our meetings will take place in the Earth Ballroom in the upper left part of the diagram above, which is isolated from the rest of the casino. Our hotel is the Earth Tower, which connects to the Earth Convention Center by corridors isolated from the rest of the casino (you can even reach the convention center from the hotel by going outdoors). While the casino has many features, shops and restaurants, if you don't want to go near them, our conference layout lets you stay away from them.